SWS Lawyers believe that our role in the community extends beyond the delivery of legal services to our paying clients. We participate in the community in a number of ways:
At SWS Lawyers, we believe the Newcastle and Hunter community deserves access to the best of the Performing Arts. We are delighted to be the first legal firm to sponsor the Civic Theatre Season. Our involvement began in 2014 and we take pride in knowing that our financial support assists the Civic Theatre to continue to bring a varied program of theatre, dance, music and other performing arts to the people of Newcastle. We consider the Civic Theatre to be as culturally iconic to Newcastle, as Nobbys Lighthouse is geographically iconic.
We are also delighted to be able to showcase in our reception and boardroom wonderful paintings by Newcastle artist, Paul Maher.
University of Newcastle
The University of Newcastle Law School takes a uniquely practical approach to preparing the next generation of lawyers for their career. We are consistently impressed by the local students we meet who we have no doubt will go on to confidently serve our clients and communities and represent our profession in the future. In support of the Law School, a number of our senior practitioners act as guest lecturers throughout the year and we take a number of students for professional placement and as summer clerks. We have a role on the Law School Advisory Board and our employees have also acted as judges in student competitions.
Volunteer Legal Services
Our lawyers support the following community based legal clinics which provide advice and assistance to the disadvantaged and vulnerable:
- Hunter Community Legal Centre - The Hunter Community Legal Centre is a community legal centre that provides free legal advice to disadvantaged people based in the greater Newcastle and Hunter Valley region.
- University of Newcastle Legal Centre - The University of Newcastle Legal Centre is a community legal centre run by the University of Newcastle Law School. It is also the centrepiece of the Law School’s clinical program, giving students the opportunity to develop practical skills by assisting solicitors.
Pro Bono Legal Services
SWS Lawyers have provided pro bono legal services to a number of community organisations including:
- Leapfrog Ability – Leapfrog has been assisting people living with disability across the Hunter Region for over 20 years.
- Ngnowar-Aerwah Aboriginal Corporation - The NACC is an integral health and welfare centre for the East Kimberley Indigenous community. Its services include alcohol and drug prevention treatment, counselling and more.
- Yacaaba Centre -The Yacaaba Centre is a specialist homelessness service that has been operating in the Port Stephens area for over 20 years. The Centre assists victims of abuse by offering counselling and information services as well as by providing access to safe and affordable housing.
We are proud to have donated to Sport Access Foundation, an organisation founded by Paralympic gold medal winning triathlete, Katie Kelly, for the purpose of creating opportunities for kids with disabilities to participate in sport.
SWS Lawyers is a silver sponsor of the Fearnley Dawes Athletic Centre, a not for profit organisation whose stated aims include growing community participation in physical activities and providing opportunities to facilitate healthy lifestyle, socialisation and a sense of belonging.
We are also a proud member of the Newcastle Jets 500 Club.
Charity & Fundraising
SWS Lawyers and its staff regularly participate in, and contribute to, local and national charitable fundraising events including:
- the International Women’s Day fundraising breakfast hosted by the Equal Futures Project;
- Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea (Cancer Council).